Friday, March 22, 2013

Week 7

While reading though the article "Theories and Practices," I laughed a little bit.  I read to my nephew all the time, and after reading this article I started to think about all the different modes that go into those books. I noticed that he was more interested in books that were more colorful, and had different fonts through out the story.  He also was more interactive with books that had colors in the words and then would find them throughout the pages.  I'm not sure if this is what the author intended to do while he was writing them all, but it's something that I've noticed really attracts young readers.

As I started to read through the Second Life article, the first page immediately grabbed my attention. It's true, and I will admit, that I feel like I do better in face to face classes compared to strictly online classes.  This has nothing to do with the teacher or the way the class is taught, but just how I am. I am easily distracted, the internet is right there at my finger tips. In my own case, it also comes down to what I am also doing at home at the time. I often start my assignments and then have them saved as drafts and I think "oh, I can come back to it after I do laundry/finish dinner/clean" but I don't till the next week, and then I find I am behind, and then my grades suffer because of it. I think using a program that allows me to have to be more interactive with students (or perhaps just needing to be on the computer at a set time to do work with my peers) would improve my work being presented when it is supposed to.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Everyone has a different learning style. With online learning, students need to be motivated and self-regulated. Close communication with peers and the instructor is also the key to success. Try to set aside a time that nothing will interfere so you will not be distracted.

    Did you get to try to create your avatar? Also read your peers' blogs and provide comments. This will help you interact with your peers and get a sense of what and how they are doing in this class. :D

    ReplyDelete